By Nsim Team
“TEFL” is the acronym for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. Also known as Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), English Language Teaching (ELT), and teaching ESL (English as a Second Language). The field of TEFL/TESOL represents one of the fastest growing educational fields in the world. The field presents thousands of excellent professional opportunities for teaching English abroad in all corners of the globe to native and fluent English speakers who earn their TEFL/TESOL certification.
Difference between TEFL and TESOL:
- Both these terms are applied to the field of teaching English abroad. They are both acronyms that essentially mean the same thing: teaching the English language to non-native speakers. Likewise, in the vast majority cases, when it comes to teaching English abroad, a “TEFL certification” and a “TESOL certification” are the same and the terms are interchangeable.
- On technical level, TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) is the term applied to the teaching of English to non-native speakers in native English speaking countries, so those who will earn degrees and work domestically in the field in the UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and South Africa and US will typically use the term “TESOL.”
Why TEFL or TESOL Certification required for getting an English teaching job abroad?
To Teach English as a Foreign Language in a foreign country (non-native English speaking country), a TEFL Certification is typically required as schools and language institutes want to hire teachers who have received proper training. You don't need to possess a degree in education, prior teaching experience, or even a college degree to get paid to teach English abroad. Private language schools abroad want to hire people who have received a certain degree of professional level training. Internationally recognized standards hold that professional-level TEFL certification must meet certain standards established by leading bodies in the field.
There are several Online TEFL / TESOL Courses accrediated by different universities. International TEFL and TESOL Training is one such portal offering online course.
Certificate Course includes:
- TEFL Certificate
- TEFL Diploma
- P G Diploma in TEFL
- Diploma in Teaching and Training with a specialization in TEFL
- Certificate in TEFL Young Learners
- Certificate in TEFL Business Learners etc.