By Nsim Team
If you want to become a recreation and sports director, you first need to determine if this career path is a good fit for you. If the following description sounds like you, then you’re probably well suited for a career as a recreation and sports director:
Those who become recreation and sports directors typically have a keen interest in sports and recreation, combined with an aptitude for business administration. They must have strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
Recreation and sports directors are responsible for planning, organizing and directing the operations of recreational sports and fitness programs, activities and services, which includes the related events, publicity and finances. They must also manage the coaches and others involved in running each sports and recreation activity.
Recreation and sports directors must ensure that all funding is properly in place, equipment is safe and available, coaches are properly trained and sports and recreation events are being properly advertised.
Although educational requirements may vary by employer, you typically need at least a bachelor’s degree in an area such as business administration, management, athletic administration, outdoor recreation, or a related field.
Some employers may require that you have a master’s degree in one of these areas, or you may be required that you have experience in athletics or coaching in order to be hired as a sports and recreation director.
In order to become an effective sports and recreation director, you will need to posses certain personality characteristics. These traits will help you enjoy going to work, and provide you with the foundation for gaining the necessary skills, knowledge and competencies required in a career as a sports and recreation director. Personal traits needed typically include:
• An interest in recreation and sports
• An interest in working with people from diverse backgrounds
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong planning, organization and leadership skills
• Enjoy coordinating information and the work of others
• Competent in negotiating business contracts
Sports and recreation directors are hired by organizations that plan, develop and administer sports and recreation activity programs; these organizations typically include:
• Provincial/state sports and recreation associations
• Municipal, provincial/state and federal government departments
• Not-for-profit organizations such, as the Boys and Girls Clubs
• Colleges and universities
• Extended care facilities
• Tourism and entertainment businesses and organizations
Sept. 2, 2017, 12:06 p.m.
Lionel Messi is an Argentine former professional footballer counted amongst the best players in the world in football history. The only player in history to win five FIFA Ballons d'Or, he was also the first player to win three European Golden ..Read More