By Nsim Team
You need years of advertising industry experience to become an advertising consultant. This helps you develop expertise in a specific area of advertising, as well as build up a large network of contacts and potential clients.
Although not a formal requirement, having an undergraduate or graduate degree related to advertising will be of great benefit in this career.
If you want to become a successful advertising consultant, you will also need to make sure this career aligns with your interest, skills, and personality traits. Does the following describe you?
• You have a passion for communicating with people through advertising
• You have an interest in creating, implementing and evaluating advertising campaigns
• You enjoy the idea of working as a freelance contractor
• You have interest in a career that allows you to possibly work from home or travel
• You have self-confidence and a competitive spirit
• You have an interest in developing expertise in a specific area of advertising
Advertising consultants are independent contractors or representatives of an advertising agency that are called upon by companies to provide short-term or long-term advertising guidance.
They help their clients generate revenue by advising them on how to best advertise their product or service within specified budgetary restrictions. They must be able to provide creative advertising solutions for specific campaigns, or long-term general strategies, based on a thorough understanding of the client’s needs, goals and specific sales objectives.
Advertising consultants essentially serve as a knowledge base for how a company can reach new customers, or up-sell to their existing ones. In addition to providing advice, they may be responsible for to developing strategic ad campaigns, writing copy or purchase appropriate ad space.
While experience is arguably the most important thing you need to become an advertising consultant, a solid educational background in advertising strategies and marketing is also highly beneficial.
Most consultants have earned at least a bachelor's degree in marketing, advertising, communications, or a closely related field.
You need a certain set of skills in order to become a competent advertising consultant, including:
• Expertise in the advertising of specific types of products or services
• The ability to effectively assess the advertising needs of an organization’s product or services
• Able to effectively create an ad campaign, or an element of a campaign that meets those needs
• The ability to work within a strict deadline
• The ability to work within budgetary restrictions
• Must be able to quickly adapt to working with new team members
• Excellent presentation and persuasion skills
Jobs for advertising consultants can be found with any size organization, in virtually any industry.
Advertising consultants are hired when an advertising mind with a proven track-record of success is needed to supplement the efforts of in-house staff, typically within a specific product area. They are most often hired as freelance contractors, as the employer needs their experience and expertise, but cannot justify the expense of adding a new employee to payroll.
Advertising consultants are typically employed as independent contractors, who's client base is composed of a built up a network of employers who call upon them for short-term solutions.
Sometimes, employers hire advertising agencies, rather than freelance contractors to perform consulting work. Many ad agencies employ advertising consultants as part or full-time employees, and assign them to work on specific projects that they have been contracted for.
Related Links: Sales Managers