Bicycle mechanics and repairers focus on making sure bicycles are working properly and come up with solutions when a bike breaks or needs new equipment. As a bike mechanic, They will be in charge of installing new equipment, adjusting gears and aligning wheels.
Bicycle mechanics also be tasked with assembling new bikes from scratch or repairing ones that have broken parts. They will also need to troubleshoot problems to figure out why a bicycle isn't working. It's common for bicycle mechanics to weld broken bike frames, fix axles and adjust bikes to fit a person's frame and build.
Education isn't necessary to become a bicycle mechanic. The majority of repairers have a high school diploma, while the minority have either less than a high school diploma or some college experience.
In some cases, colleges offer affordable, standalone courses in bicycle repair, which can also include access to repair shops. Some schools may offer courses that culminate in certification in topics like wheel building or suspension repair.
In addition to experience and possible education, you will typically need a few key skills in order to become a bicycle mechanic. These can include problem-solving abilities, finger dexterity, customer service and deductive reasoning.
Bicycle mechanics require the following skills:
• technical knowledge
• good organisation and time-keeping
• a meticulous and thorough approach
• consistency and a high level of attention to detail
• the ability to keep accurate records
• team-working skills
• the ability to work unsupervised
Cycle technicians working in a customer-facing environment (such as a bike shop or cycle hire centre) will also need:
• good customer service skills
• an engaging, friendly and positive attitude
• an interest in cycling and knowledge of local cycling routes
Computer skills are also useful as most mechanics will be required to use email, internet, word processing, spreadsheet and database packages in their day-to-day work.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects a 25% growth in the number of bicycle repairers between 2012 and 2022. With an estimated 2,700 job openings during that decade, the BLS reports that this job growth rate is much faster than the average.
Bicycle mechanics may become sales representatives for manufacturers. They may also be promoted to shop or department managers, or they may open their own shops.
Being a Bicycle mechanic requires certain personal traits and characteristics, including:
• An interest in the career
• The ability to work alone and with team members
• An interest in keeping up to date by taking additional training as required
• Good colour vision for distinguishing component parts
• An interest in working with tools and equipment at tasks that require precision
• An interest in having clear rules and organized methods to guide your activities
• Willingness to work in different weather conditions
Jan. 3, 2018, 12:18 p.m.
Grab the exciting business opportunity with a leading institution in skill empowerment and education…Hurry up!!!
June 6, 2017, 12:39 p.m.
Bicycle mechanics and repairers focus on making sure bicycles are working properly and come up with solutions when a bike breaks or needs new equipment. As a bike mechanic, They will be in charge of installing new equipment, adjusting gears and al..Read More
Dec. 26, 2016, 4:04 p.m.
Master of Science in Automobile Engineering is a postgraduate Automobile Engineering programme. Course deals with designing the vehicle, manufacturing new products/new vehicle, repairing, servicing vehicles. Course also deals with the designi..Read More