Furniture makers make or restore furniture like chairs, tables and display cabinets.Furniture makers design and craft individual pieces of furniture and storage cabinets such as chairs, tables, dressers and wardrobes. They may also restore antique items of furniture.
Furniture is an essential part of our daily lives. It is what we sit on, eat and work from, where we store our clothes and possessions and where we sleep.
The salary for a furniture maker depends vastly on the amount of work he is able to produce, his level of skill and his reputation.
You will need to show:
• creative and practical ability
• drawing skills and strong visual awareness
• manual dexterity and good hand-eye coordination
• an understanding of computer-aided design (CAD) and other technological advances
• knowledge of industrial processes and techniques, safety issues and specialist fields or materials
• communication skills
• commercial focus
• self-motivation, self-discipline and persistence
• flexibility and adaptability
• the ability to work to deadlines
• collaborative skills, particularly if working in a multidisciplinary practice
• a desire to keep up to date with market trends and new ideas
• business and marketing skills, for those thinking of self-employment.
Employment of furniture makers is projected to show little or no change from 2014 to 2024. Those who have advanced skills, including the ability to use computer-controlled machinery, should have the best job opportunities in manufacturing industries.
To succeed as a furniture designer you will need design, creative and commercial skills, as well as the confidence to network
As a furniture designer, you'll produce designs for items of furniture and related products. These designs may then be mass produced or made in small batches or as one-off individual pieces.
You may just be involved in the design aspect of the work or you may be a highly-skilled crafts person and produce items from your own designs.
You'll either work alone or alongside colleagues creating concepts and designs that balance innovative design, functional requirements and aesthetic appeal.
The process of furniture design demands creativity, business awareness and skills in marketing, finance, sales and manufacturing.
July 1, 2017, 10:59 a.m.
June 13, 2017, 11:34 a.m.
Furniture makers make or restore furniture like chairs, tables and display cabinets.Furniture makers design and craft individual pieces of furniture and storage cabinets such as chairs, tables, dressers and wardrobes. They may also restore antique..Read More
May 3, 2017, 10:54 a.m.
Metal fabricators generally work in manufacturing industries, including automotive, aerospace, and electronics. Metal fabricators make and fit parts together using a variety of tools and machines based on patterns that come from blueprints. Metal ..Read More
Dec. 22, 2016, 4:35 p.m.
Bachelor of Architecture in Building & Construction Management is an undergraduate Architecture Engineering course. The degree is awarded after successful completion of a five years program or course that covers the study of management as..Read More