By Nsim Team
Events planners are responsible for planning one-time events, like parties, or events that are longer in duration, such as week-long conferences. They are responsible for the coordination and organization of event staff, event transportation, event venues, as well as material effects like food, drink and decorations.
Event planners must oversee the planning of the event from its early stages, straight through to overseeing the event on the day it is held. At the beginning of the planning stage, an event planner must work with their client to determine the material needs of the event, staffing needs, and budget.
There are no formal requirements for becoming an event planner, however those who hire event planners, be they employers or clients, generally prefer to hire event planners with relevant education.
For some employers, completion of a continuing education or certificate course in event planning or management may be sufficient. These courses typically range widely in cost, and range in duration from one weekend to one year.
Other employers however, require event planners to have a degree or diploma in event planning/management, event or business administration, tourism and hospitality administration, communication or public relations, in order to be considered for a job as an event planner.
When hiring event planners, employers and clients will typically look for candidates with the following skills:
• Able to listen closely and discern needs
• Able to take and give orders
• Able to effectively manage multiple clients and projects simultaneously
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Excellent budget management and negotiation skills
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Able to work effectively with all sorts of people
• Able ability to form professional relationships
• Able to work well under pressure and make responsible decisions quickly
• Knowledge of how to keep an audience engaged
Employment of meeting, convention, and event planners is projected to grow 10 percent from 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations. As globalization increases and businesses continue to recognize the value of professionally planned meetings, demand for meetings and events is projected to grow. Job opportunities should be best for candidates with a bachelor’s degree in meeting and event management, hospitality, or tourism management.
In order to enjoy performing the duties of an event planner, you need to have certain personality traits. Taking enjoyment from your job duties is important, as it helps you maintain a positive attitude towards your work, which can lead to having a long and successful career.
• The stamina and energy to work long hours when required
• Composure; able to make quick decisions while remaining calm under pressure
• Must act professionally in a variety of situations
• Enjoy speaking with people
• Enjoy coordinating information and activities
• A customer-centered approach to work activities
• Self-motivation and determination