Bachelor of Architecture, B. Arch is a five year graduate program in Architecture, design and structure of building covering the sociological, systematic and environmental aspects. The course seeks the students having skills like drawing, writing, exploration of the given topic, practical and managerial ability in identifying and solving problems and architectural presentation etc.
The subjects for the Bachelor of Architecture include Mathematics, CADD, Urban Economics and Sociology History of Architecture and Interior Design etc.
Eligibility Criteria for admission into B. Arch program
- At least 10+2 with 55% in aggregate from a recognized board.
- Compulsory subjects Mathematics with Physics and Chemistry in 10+2
- Valid entrance exam scores
Different Universities and Institutions conduct entrance exams for aspiring candidates. The national level exams are common for the Engineering as well as the B. Arch students. Most of the institutions consider NATA exam score along with the aptitude test conducted by the individual institutes.
B. Arch Entrance exams in India
Some of the prominent entrance tests are:
- AMU Entrance Exam
- UPTU SEE Exam
Coaching Centers for B. Arch Entrance Exam
- Aakash Institute
- ALLEN Career Institute
- Amity Institute of Competitive Examinations
- Bansal Classes Pvt. Ltd.
- Bansal Tutorials
- Career Launcher India Ltd
- Career Point
- Creative career
- Daswani Classess Ltd
- Kreative Tutorials
- Narayana IIT Academy
- NATA study centre
- Oasis Education Services
- PIE Education
- Studio NICS
Entrance Exam Pattern
AIEEE and JEE conduct the common exam for both the engineering and architecture graduates which is of objective type and includes the subject Mathematics along with Physics and chemistry. For Architecture Graduate there is an addition test, aptitude test along with the drawing test. For the students, preparing for NATA exam, the exam is of three hours and divided into two parts:
- Drawing test: 2 hours duration which evaluates the potentiality and capability in drawing
- Aesthetic Sensitivity test: 1 hour duration in online mode which identifies the applicants visualizing and analytical capability at the given objects
Top 10 B. Arch Colleges in India
- Bengal Engineering College
- Centre For Environmental Planning & Technology
- Chandigarh College Of Architecture
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Roorkee
- Jadavpur University
- Rai University Raipura
- School Of Planning & Architecture
- Sir J.J.College Of Architecture
- TVB School Of Habitat Studies
Other Reputed Colleges/ Universities offering B. Arch program
- Acharya School of Architecture
- Adhiyamaan College of Engineering
- Allahabad University
- Amity School of Architecture and Design
- Anna University
- Ansal Institute of Technology
- Apeejay Institute of Technology
- Arulmigu Meenakshi Amman College of Engineering
- AXIS Institute of Architecture
- B.M.S. College of Engineering
- B.P.S. Mahila Vishwavidyalaya
- Baba Bariyar Shah Mahavidyalaya
- Bharat University of Sicience & Technology
- Budha College of Architecture
- Chitkara School of Planning and Architecture
- College of Architecture Vastu Kala Academy
- College of Architecture(COA)
- College of Engineering and Technology
- College of Engineering Trivandrum
- Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering
- Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram University of Science and Technology
- Dr Bhanuben Nanavati College of Architecture
- Dr. Baliram Hiray College of Architecture
- Dr. M G R Engineering College
- Dr. P.G. Halakatti College of Engineering and Technology
- G.S.Mandals Marathwada Institute of Technology
- Gateway College of Architecture and Design
- Giani Zail Singh College of Engineering and Technology
- Hindustan Institute of Engineering Technology
- I.E.S. College of Architecture
- I.P.S. Academy - School of Architecture
- Indian Education Society
- Indo Global College of Architecture
- Institute of Environmental Planning and Technology
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Jawaharlal Nehru Engineering College (JNEC)
- K.R. Mangalam School of Architecture and Planning
- Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute of Architecture and Environmental Studies
- Karnataka Law Societys Gogte Institute of Technology (K.L.S.)
- Kavikulguru Institute of Technology and Science
- L.B.H.S.S. Trusts College of Architecture
- L.S.Raheja School of Architecture
- L.T.J.S. Sanstha’s Priyadarshini College Of Engineering and Architect
- Late Bhausaheb Hiray S.S. Trust’s College of Architecture
- Late Shri Bapuraoji Deshmukh Degree College of Architecture
- Loknete Mohanrao Kadam College of Agriculture(L.M.K)
- M.E.S. College of Engineering
- M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology
- Maharshi Dayanand University
- Mahatma Gandhi College of Architecture
- Malik Sandal Institute of Arts and Architecture
- Marathwada Mitra Mandals College of Architecture
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology
- MCE Societys Allana College of Architecture
- Mohamed Sathak Engineering College
- NDMVP Samajs College of Architecture
- NMIMS University
- North Maharashtra University
- NTVS’s College of Architecture
- OM Institute of Technology and Management
- Padmashree Dr. D.Y. Patil College of Architecture
- Pillai’s College of Architecture
- Pravara Rural College of Architecture
- Punjab Technical University
- R.I.M.T. College of Architecture
- R.V. College of Engineering
- Rajaram Shinde Degree College of Architecture
- Rama Institute of Architecture Anna University
- Regional Engineering College
- Rizvi College of Architecture
- S R M Engineering College
- S.D.P.S. Women’s College
- Sathyabama Engineering College
- Sathyabma University
- Savera College of Architecture and Planning
- School of Planning and Architecture
- Shree Bankey Bihari Institutions of Architecture (SBBIA)
- Shri Prince Shivaji Maratha Boarding House’s College of Architecture
- Shri Siddeshwar Shikshan Mandals College of Architecture
- Shri VB Patil Trusts Appasaheb Birnale College of Architecture
- Shrikrishna Educational and Cultural Mandals College of Architecture
- Sinhgad College of Architecture
- Sir J.J. College of Architecture
- Srishti School of Art, Design and Technology
- Sunder Deep College of Architecture
- Surya School of Architecture
- Sushant School of Art and Architecture
- Tamilnadu School of Architecture
- Thiagarajar College Of Engineering
- Vidya Pratishthan’s School of Architecture
- Viva School of Architecture
5 years full time undergraduate course is alienated into two phases.
- The first phase covers the three year full time course and 20 weeks internship at any professional organization or building sites
- The second phase is characterized with the preparation research paper, design thesis and also conduct seminars. The second phases is for a duration of 2 years and it can be consider as the more practical based approach of the theory part
B. Arch Specializations
The specialization areas of the Bachelor of Architecture includes the following,
- Green Architecture
- Landscape Architecture
- Museum Architecture
- Naval Architecture
- Theatre Architecture
B. Arch Projects
Project is a part of B. Arch evaluation criteria that the students has to compulsory submit the project related to any prescribed area like architecture doctrines, design of building, examination of temperature variation etc. The student are allowed to choose the industry for the projects, it can either be a public or private organization. Some areas of project in B. Arch include
- Conservation of a Heritage Building
- Construction Management
- Eco Friendly Construction Methods and Materials
- Energy conservation (green buildings)
- Energy Management
- Engineering technology
- Industrial design
- Interiors and Landscaping
- Mud Architecture
- Promoting Village Energy Security
- Renewable Energy Technology Management
- Smart building
- Solar Architecture
- Thermal Performance of Buildings
- Urban planning
The course evaluation is mainly done by the classroom as well as the field work activities on the basis of
- Class Tests
- Home Assignments
- Field work
- Practical experiments etc.
What to do after B. Arch?
For an Architecture graduate there are mainly two opportunities, to work with any firm or to select further studies. An architecture graduate can work with both public and private entities. They can work with Railways, Postal and telegraph department, private firms like Sahara group, Gammon India, Aeons Constructions etc.
The higher studies option after B. Arch:
- Master of Technology in Construction of Project Management (M.Tech – CPM)
- Master of Technology in Environmental Planning (M.Tech – EP)
- Master of Technology in Housing (M.Tech. - HSG)
- Master of Technology in Infrastructure Planning (M.Tech – IP)
- Master of Technology in Urban and Regional Planning (M.Tech.URP)
- Postgraduate Diploma Programme in Design (PGDPD)
Other Certification Courses after B.Arch.
- Advance training in Application of Computer Techniques in Architectural design Simulation
- Advance training in Building Science
- Advance training in Presentation Graphics and Construction Technology
- Computer Applications in Architecture and Planning
- GIS and Multimedia Applications
- Heritage Studies and Conservation
- Short-Term Course on Green Architecture and Carbon-Free Living
- Visual and Graphic Design
- Architecture and Building Development Firms.
- Department of Post and Telegraph.
- Department of Railways.
- Housing and Urban Development Corporations.
- National Building Organization.
- National Institutes of Urban Affairs.
- Private Construction Organizations.
- Public Works Department (PWD).
- Town and Country Planning Organization.
- Architectural Technician.
- Architectural Theoretician.
- Architectural Conservator.
- Architectural Engineer.
- Architectural Technologist.
- Architecture Critic.
- Architecture Photographer.
- Building Control Officer.
- Building Inspector.
Remuneration after B. Arch
The salary package of an Architect depends on the size of the firm, the project he/she handling. Salary of experienced architects in India ranges from Rs.3-5laks/annum. For an entry level one can expect a handsome salary ranging from Rs 1-3laks/annum. There are private firms like DLF, L&T, Eros Group the salary package of an architect’s varies from Rs 1-15lakhs/Annum.