Certificate Courses in Forestry and Wildlife
Few of the specialized fields in this science are -
1. Fire Management.
2. Forest Reserve System.
3. Forest Health.
4. Urban Forestry Program.
5. Timber Management.
6. Wildlife Conservation.
7. Hunting Legal Notices.
Forestry & Wildlife Course Content
- Field work.
- Abroad study for further learning.
- Conservation projects.
- Skills in developing solutions to environmental problems.
Forestry & Wildlife Course Objectives
- Optimum utilization of forest resources without disturbing the ecological balance.
- Maintain and regenerate the forest cover, forest wealth and resources.
- Protection of forests and farming of trees to ensure contributing timber supply.
- Protection from pests, disease, encroachment and indiscriminate felling of trees.
- Economic development of a country.
Forestry & Wildlife Course: Basic Requirements
The minimum qualification required is to have passed the 10+2 examination with physics, chemistry and biology or agriculture as subjects. Percentage requirement is mostly 50% and may vary from institute to institute.
Forestry and wildlife courses are provided both at the undergraduate and post graduate levels. Students can also opt for doctoral and post-doctoral studies. One can also pursue their further studies abroad.
A few institutions like Wildlife Institute of India, Dehra Dun and A.V.C College, Mayiladtaurai offer a two-year master's course in wildlife biology. Various short term courses are also available. One can also opt for Forestry and wildlife courses through distance mode of education or correspondence like Certificate Course in Forest Management offered by Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University.
Some of the Major Institutes providing Forestry and wildlife courses
- Dr. Y.S. Parmar University of Horticulture & Forestry, Solan
- Birsa Agricultural University
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University
- Wildlife Institute of India
Forestry and Wildlife Job Perspectives
This field of action promises a lot of jobs to youngsters not only inside the country but also abroad. The job prospects in the education sector are also very bright. There is a great demand for specially trained professionals for performing these duties. A forestry expert can work in the laboratories, outdoors or even in offices depending on their areas of specialization. Timber or plywood manufacturers also employ forestry specialists as consultants. Food and Agricultural Organization also hire forestry specialists for various functions in their organization. One can also opt for research work in various institutions. Candidates can pursue research work and projects with government and Non Government Organisations (NGOs). Those with an aptitude for Environmental Impact Analysis can also find employment with the industry. Wildlife consultants are required for esteemed organizations like World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
Some Forestry & Wildlife Job Types
- Forest Range Officer
- Zoo Curators
Some Forestry & Wildlife Employment Areas
- Food and Agricultural Organization
- Forest Department
- Wildlife Department
- National Parks and Sanctuaries
- Forest Nursery
- Research and Development
- Biotechnology Firms
- Educational Institutes
- Timber and Plywood Manufacturing Firms