Housing Advisers

Stories you may like

Housing advisers provide impartial and confidential information, advice and support to individuals about a wide range of housing problems such as homelessness and repossession.

The work is varied with duties that range from answering enquiries, interviewing clients, assessing problems and writing reports, to acting as an advocate, lobbying or mediating on a client's behalf and providing legal advice. Other responsibilities include:

  • maintaining records

  • compiling statistics

  • attending meetings

  • interpreting legislation

  • researching cases

Referral and liaison with landlords and related organisations is another key feature of the work.


Qualifications and training required


There are no set qualifications for becoming a housing adviser, so it’s possible to enter the profession both with or without a degree. Skills and experience are usually more important than qualifications; however, a degree in the following subjects could prove beneficial: law; politics; guidance or counselling; psychology; social or community work; public or social administration; and social sciences. Previous relevant paid or voluntary work experience is essential prior to entry into the profession.


Key skills for housing advisers


  • Maturity

  • Patience

  • Excellent interpersonal skills

  • Confidence

  • Caring and approachable

  • Resourcefulness

  • Good verbal and written communication skills


Typical employers of housing advisers


  • Local authorities

  • Specialist housing advice centres

  • General advice centres such as the citizens advice bureau and independent or neighbourhood advice centres

  • Voluntary and charitable organisations


Share with social media:

User's Comments

No comments there.

Related Posts and Updates




 An architect is someone who plans, designs, and oversees the construction of buildings.

The construction manager is responsible for overseeing the entirety of the project from start to finish. They may individua..

How to become a Housing Adviser?

(Numbers only)