Stories you may like
Bachelor of Design in Fashion Communication is an undergraduate Fashion and Interior Design course. Fashion communication is one of the fields of mass communication. Here, one uses modes or mediums of mass communication to promote fashion. It can also be used to communicate with masses or with consumer by means of advertisement, promotions, films, videos, print etc. Fashion Communication is a new but very exciting field that has opened up in the fashion industry. In today's scene of extremely fast developments in the fashion industry, many Indian brands are competing with international brands. This has opened up tremendous possibilities for a designer of fashion communication, who will work on design strategies, brands, portfolios etc. He/she will also work on areas such as visual merchandising, styling, graphic design, display and exhibit design, advertising, public relations, and creative writing. The students passing out, will have high level skill and domain knowledge, and emerge as professionals who offer the extremely effective communication solutions for the fashion and lifestyle industry. The duration of the course id three years and it is career orienting in nature that opens many scopes for the candidates.
How is B.Des. Fashion Communication Course Beneficial?
- Candidates can become a writer on fashion industry and get a job in media.
- They can also have the jobs of designers by making them understand the latest fashion trends so that they can make clothes accordingly.
- They have option of getting jobs in fashion industry. Students can pursue higher studies in fashion and designing as well.
- They can do in-depth study of various fashion trends and write about them. Since, you have good communication skills and require know how, you can form your own links and start your own business in fashion and clothing.
- The 10+2 level examinations of any recognized Central/State Board of Secondary Examination, such as Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi, and Council for Indian School of Certificate Examination, New Delhi.
- Any Public School/Board/University Examination in India or in Foreign countries recognized by the Association of Indian Universities as equivalent to 10+2 system.
B.Des. Fashion Communication Syllabus
Syllabus of Fashion Communication as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges.
Subjects of Study
First year is the common foundation year for all students. The focus is on exploration and getting a designer mind set. Students will also learn about the process of design and how to apply human centred approach to problem solving. An introduction is given to all the subjects that they will explore further in the later years. An optimum mix of traditional and new design skills is offered along subject like history of design and creative process.
Students will receive inputs in the fundamental of communication and design through courses that employ the pedagogical tools of theory, exploration and application. Spread over two semester, the process of introduction and orientation to fashion communication is effected through subjects like Fashion Studies, History and Philosophy of Design, Communication concepts and Process, Writing skills, Consumer Behaviour in Fashion, Computer Application, Graphic Design, Visual Merchandising , Photography, Design Methodology and Integrated Term Project. They will work on high end and state of the art software tools used in the industry.
The third year delves deeper into core discipline areas with greater emphasis on creative. In the fifth and sixth semesters, the approach evolves from cognition to problem solving subject like Visual Merchandising , Graphic Design, Styling and Photography, Fashion Journalism are studied in greater detail , with emphasis on project work. At the end of both semesters, students go to the industry to take up Internship Projects so as to understand the actual industry environment and also apply their learning.
The student will develop a deeper understanding of their area of specialization through further study, contextual subjects, seminars and Design Projects. During these projects, along with the design outputs, students are expected to practice and fine tune their soft skills like client interaction, presentation, project management and also understand the financial aspects of a project.
B.Des. Fashion Communication Colleges
- National Institute of Fashion Technology - NIFT New Delhi, Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology - NIFT Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- National Institute of Fashion Technology - NIFT Bangalore, Karnataka
- National Institute of Fashion Technology - NIFT Kangra, Himachal Pradesh
- National Institute of Fashion Technology - NIFT Kannur, Kerala
- National Institute of Fashion Technology - NIFT Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Satyam Fashion Institute, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- School of Fashion Technology - SOFT, Pune, Maharashtra
- Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women's university- Churchgate, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- AAFT School of Fashion Design, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Ansal University-AU, Gurgon, Haryana
- Mahatma Ashwini Kumar Dutta Memorial Institute, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Symbiosis Institute of Design - SID, Pune
- Symbiosis International University - SIU, Pune, Maharashtra
B.Des. Fashion Communication Course Suitability
- Course is suitable for those who have research abilities, multi-tasking skills, and an appreciation for the business and art of fashion.
- They also possess the knowledge of business practices and the ability to think and make sound judgments which are necessary for it.
- Other skills they should possess are drawing, rendering, mixing and applying paint, as well as colour theory and fibre exploration.
- Colleges & Universities
- Anahe Retail - Bangalore
- Dressin Fashion - New Delhi
- IFA Fashion Industry Pvt. Ltd. - Itanagar
- House of Anita Dongre Limited - Bangalore
- Karpagavalli Couture - Chennai,
- Divine international Foundation - Haridwar
- Promotion & Merchandising Officer
- Fashion Assistant
- Fashion Advertiser
- Fashion Stylist
- Teacher & Lecturer
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Journalist
- Sales Executive
- Fashion Consultant
- Area Operations Manager
- Fashion Consultant